Newsweek magazine of 1998 had an article of Hale Bopp Comet and expalined comes as ‘frozen dirt balls’. It reads, “This comet was last seen in these parts 4200 years ago (before Abraham of 2213 BC). “Comets are big frozen dirtballs, an estimated 100 billion of them were created at the same time as the sun and the planets. Most of their days comets float anonymously in a halo called an ort cloud, a backwoods of space way past Pluto. But once in a while gravitational jolts from passing stars send a comet hurdling from the kingdom of ice into a trip around the sun. Comets are of the wandering children of the solar system. They were present at the creation some 4 billion years ago and living in the cold storage in the outer solar system they haven’t changed much.”
Job 38:22,”Have you entered the treasury of snow, Or have you seen the treasury of hail(23) Which I have reserved for the time of trouble, For the day of battle and war?”
Comets are often seen as a bad omen, appearing years before a major war or natural disaster. A few examples are of a comet was sited before the Exodus, the first Passover and the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD. In Natural History, Pliny wrote that it was a “terrible comet…(that) was twisted like a coil, and it was very grim to behold.” Exodus 9:19 records “So there was hail, and fire mingled with the hail, so very heavy that there was none like it in all the land of Egypt since it became a nation.” The Jewish Talmud records ‘stones fell in Egypt and were very hot.’ Joesphesus wrote about a heavenly appearance resembling a sword in the sky before the destruction of the Temple.
October 2011 Astronomy magazine carried an interesting article on comets. The first paragraph caught my attention, “..This makes them an object of popular fascination and has led to their common association as omens of significant events on Earth. (The destruction of Jerusalem by Roman Emperor Titus and the Norman conquest of England are two famous examples)” [please remember astronomy is a science, astrology is witchcraft]
Below are come significant comets of our era and the coinciding historic events on earth. Genesis 1:14 tells us the the heavenly lights are God’s signposts, for signs for seasons. Comets have no light in themselves, but only reflect the Sun. If you are on a journey you will see the signs closer together and larger as you near your destination. So it is with the destination God has ordained for the time of the end.
Hale Bopp Comet
- First seen when Noah was building the Ark, so called the Noahic Comet
- In July 1995, this comet was discovered by American amateur astronomers Alan Hale and Tom Bopp. The giant size was remarkable, 25-100 miles across, making it the largest comet ever discovered.
- The first discovery in our atmosphere was the 6th of Iyar, the 45th anniversary of the rebirth of Israel as a nation
- The closest pass to earth was March 23, 1997 on the Jewish Festival of Purim, when there was also a partial lunar eclipse
- Hale Bopp Comet was a sign in the last decade of the last century of the last day before the millennium last day. (As in the days of Noah- Mt 24:37; Luke 17:26)
- August 9, 1974 (Av 9- Tish B’Av) this comet was seen in our solar system
- All nine leaders of the Common Market fell during this comet’s passing
- President Nixon departed from office of President of the United States during this comet’s passing
- One of the first comets named discovered by Sir Edmund Halley. In 1705 he wrote an article stating this comet sighted in 1456, 1531, 1607 and 1682 and predicted it would return in 1758. He died in 1742 so did not live to see this sighting.
- 12 BC when Herod was expending the Temple platform
- 66 AD, 4 years before the destruction of the Temple
- 1910, 4 years prior to WWI
- 1986, 4 years prior to the Persian Gulf War
Three Significant Eclipse Comets
- May 17, 1882, a comet called Comet Wells was viewed in Egypt during a total solar eclise (This is the year the Russian Jews began to make aliyah)
- May 20, 1947, this comet known as The Southern Comet was visible during a total solar eclipse (1 year before Israel became a nation)
- November 1, 1948, The Eclipse Comet (the year Israel became a nation)
- Dicovered by Eugene & Carolyn Shoemaker & David Levy March 24, 1994 (9th comet discovery as a team)
- First comet to be seen orbiting a planet, orbiting Jupiter rather than the Sun like other comets
- Nicknamed the String of Pearls, broke into 21 fragments resembling pearls
- This comet is estimated to be seen every 40,000 years
- Discovered in January 30, 1996 by Yuji Kyakutake of Japan.
- Passover 1996 comet Hykutake makes the closest encounter with the earth, one year later Hale Bopp Comet makes the same point on Passover 1997
- It seemed to hang over Jerusalem as it passed over on Passover 1996 and was seen as a pale green in color from the gases being given off by it.
- Expected to be closest to the earth during Rosh Hashanah (Feast of Trumpets) September 29, 2011.